Wednesday, August 15, 2012

100 Posts!

In honor of this being my 100th post on this blog, I'll reveal the story behind the title of this thing you've been reading. It goes back to high school.

I was in a music theory/appreciation/history class, and I came across "Alfonso el sabio," or Alfonso X, king of Spain. His title means "Alfonso the wise." I thought that was a hilarious name, so when I took Spanish class and we got to pick names for ourselves, I naturally picked "Alfonso."

I actually came to like Al's music. Here's one of my favorite pieces of his:

Anyway, so I picked that name in Spanish class, and I took all the Spanish classes my high school offered. In consequence, lots of people knew me only as "Alfonso." Once I was in town with my parents, and I heard someone scream, "HEY! Alfonso!" I think this was the first time my folks found out about my alias. I don't know if they knew what to make of it.

Later, my group of friends decided to make matching "Happy Wednesday" shirts with our nicknames on the back. My obvious choice was Alfonso.

Early on, I realized the power of the Happy Wednesday shirt. I wore it on a Tuesday in Disney World, and a poor man came up to me in something of a frenzy asking me, "It's not really Wednesday, is it? I'm supposed to be back in the office."

My favorite confrontation, though, is with people who have visibly mustered up the courage to approach me about it, and say with almost shaky indignation, "It's Tuesday; not Wednesday."

I pull them aside in a tone of mock conspiracy and say, "Shhh. Don't tell anyone!"

So there you have it, folks. I don't know who you are or why you read this blog, but thanks!

1 comment: