Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Anonymous

You may have heard, dear reader, that there will be a new movie coming out about how Shakespeare didn't really write Shakespeare. I don't subscribe to such nonsense, but I'll be seeing Anonymous regardless. Here's some articles that sum up why I think the "authorship controversy" isn't even up for debate. [In case you missed it, I wrote a gushing piece on how much I like Shakespeare here.]

How We Know That Shakespeare Wrote Shakespeare (A very scholarly approach)

The Shakespeare Shakedown (Newsweek article)

Hollywood Dishonors the Bard (NY Times article)

Also, I've been reading Bill Bryson's Shakespeare, and I'd never noticed until Bryson pointed it out that this is such a bad engraving:

But seriously. One eye is bigger than the other. One side of his hair is longer than the other. He has no neck, and yet his head is levitating above his shoulders. His mouth is also awkwardly placed. And what's going on with that nose? All in all, a really shoddy job.

No comments:

Post a Comment