Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Positive Initiative

I had a realization yesterday. When people ask "How's it going?" "How are you?" "How's your day been," &c, no one wants to hear how I think I'm so busy. This is probably my busiest semester; I'm taking the maximum credit load, and lots of my classes are pretty hard. But I am the one who signed up for the classes, and people I associate regularly with don't need to hear about it every time I see them.

I usually have an hour break in a five hour slew of classes, but yesterday I didn't because I had to go to a biology lab. At first, I had decided to be furious about it. Then I decided that was stupid. I have to look at stone flies and worms anyway; I might as well have fun with it. So I did.

This is my plan for when people ask me how a particularly busy day was. Instead of kvetching about how busy it was, I'll just talk about all the cool things I got to read/do. I mean, it's not like I don't have any free time. I still managed to watch Scott Pilgrim yesterday just for kicks. (That movie is so fun, by the way.)

4 comments:

  1. My last semester, I was taking 21 credits, student teaching, taking two or three additional online classes, and teaching 3 middle school Arabic classes (from curriculum I created). Oh yeah, and I was pregnant.

    The reason why I probably wouldn't have wanted to hear about how busy you were whilst I was still at byu is because I probably would have felt like it was some kind of sick competition. "Oh yeah, well, MY schedule..." etc. I shared my schedule to give you a taste of why.

    But for the record, you ARE a pretty sick person, so I bet you that if it were a competition, you'd probably win. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear it doesn't feel like a competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dude, apparently I do care and am interested since I took the trouble to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete