Monday, March 1, 2010

Scranton's Best Comedy















Virtually everyone in America is now familiar with the moderately sized town of Scranton, PA, thanks to NBC's wildly successful sitcom, The Office. I have actually been to Scranton. I was driving through there last summer and stopped for dinner only to get what was one of the worst waiters of my life. But I digress.

The Office is funny. I love The Office. But it is not the funniest thing that is coming out of Scranton. Scranton has been releasing itself on the digital world in a non-scripted format so outrageous that no one mind could conceive of such a thing. What exactly am I talking about? The Scranton City Council Meetings.

Dwight's now famous speech to the salesmen of Pennsylvania is not the most dramatic or hilarious speech delivered by a Scrantonian. No, Dwight must take a backseat to such raving luminaries as Ray Lyman and Sam Patilla. They're unstoppable. I have never seen such organized and vehement name-calling, slander, outrageous legal interpretation, or story-telling. It is so beautifully heated and incoherent. Really, it even gives the Taiwanese parliament a run for its money.

My hope for the world is that we will become just as familiar with Judy Gatelli as we are with Jim Halpert. Because this...this is real. Real it in its own beautifully inconsequential and hilarious way. I invite you now to discover the REAL Lazy Scranton:







These are just a few of the best. Keep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment